Ok, maybe it wasn't that far away. A couple weeks ago I asked my friend David Armijo to go the last dance of the school year with me. He is a senior, so it would be his very last high school dance. I wrote a bunch of Haiku poems that took him different places in town. My friends and I sat at the different places and waited for him to find the next clue. It was windy and cold, but worth it.
Over the next few days I observed how David acted around me; and that was abnormally happy. I must say, it was refreshing. In his eyes I could see that he was excited to go with me. I could tell that we were going to have the most fun we had ever had on a date... well, for me at least.
This past Wednesday while I was in the shower, he came over with the answer. There was an envelope with papers, cookies, and a little card thing. I went to open the card first, but it said to stop. So then I went to the envelope. Inside was a crossword puzzle and the key to the crossword puzzle. Everyone knows how a crossword puzzle works. I did it and the key had things that would give me the answer.
The first set said, "You puzzle made me cookie, so this is not a piece of cake." The next set said, "Will you go out with me this Saturday. Please say yes." The wheels in my brain were turning like crazy. Why would he be asking me on a date when I asked him on a date? Well, let's find out. The last set said, "David can't go May twenty-two. Been asked by an imposter."
Come again? I'm pretty sure that I made sure that you hadn't been asked.
So I read the little card and it says,
I had been sitting at the kitchen table with my towel on my head, so I went to take it off. Secretly, I went in there to cry. And so I did. Then I went back out to eat some cookies. I knew that if I talked about it that I would cry some more, so I went to bed.
Now you probably guessed that I didn't really go to bed for a while. I went down to my room and bawled. And I mean, bawled. When did she ask him? Why didn't she ask him if he had been asked? You mean now I waited for him to get the Haiku and it was all for nothing?
Then I checked my phone and I had a text from Sister Black that said to call her. I knew exactly why, and it was to talk about David coming to Red Cliffs with us on the day of Grads. Pooey. But I called her. Her husband is the Bishop of our ward and he answered. That wasn't good either. He told me that David could come and then I asked for Sister Black and told her. I cried some more.
I had a hard time sleeping that night. How was I going to tell my friends? I didn't want to, but I knew I had to. Blah.
At school the next day I just showed them the answer and tried not to show my emotions. It worked during the school day. David sat by me at lunch and we discussed our date plans, which he had already came up with, which was impressive. I still had my composure.
Then I went to paint at Lynda's. Heather called and said that she had locked her keys in her car. I said that I would help her find her spare. Lynda took me home and the van was gone. Oh great. So we went back and I called Emilie and asked her if I could borrow her car. Sure.... but I don't have a lot of gas. Crap. She took some neighbor children home and called me on the way back. The van was home. Oh grand. So I went home and got the van. My dad insisted that he come with me (he thought I was going to Wal-Mart but I was going to campus) and I said no.
I took all the keys in the drawer and tried them all in her car. None of them worked. Oh wonderful. So then I drove out to the charter school to find my mother because she wasn't answering her phone. When I was just about there, she called me. I told her that I was driving there to figure it all out. She told me there was no point in doing that because she was coming home. Well, thanks mom. I'm already about there so stay there.
As I walked inside the school with tears in my eyes, I went into my moms classroom. We talked and she included me in her plans to find the right key. No, just let me paint! All I want to do today is paint! So I cried some more.
And she didn't do anything about it. I wanted her to mother me and tell me that it was going to be alright, but she didn't. And I know that my mom has a lot of things to do, but I was standing in front of her crying and I felt like she just ignored me.
We are almost to the acme of the story, so just hang on a little longer through the drama.
I went to Lynda's to paint, shaking from the lack of food and water. I went home, still shaking. I ate dinner and stopped shaking. Then we went to get ice-cream. My mom wasn't sure if she was going to come with us, so I went to ask her what she was going to do. And she snapped at me. Yep, not the best thing for my emotions.
So I bet you guessed, I cried. But not until I was away from her. I was with Heather and she started to hug me. Not good. I cried, and then mom came out and said, "Is she crying, again?" Well, duh! I just got rejected and now you aren't really mothering me! What I am supposed to do?!
That night I called Carl because the next day was state choir and I wanted to come home with him. Being the control freak that I am, I just wanted to make sure it was still going to work out. He answered and asked how I was doing. Well... and there it all came out. The most I had cried during these few days was on the phone with Carl. I felt like he was the first person to really LISTEN to me that day. When we talked about it the next day he said that he was having a hard time keeping up with everything. Well, at least he was trying to keep up!
We'll skip Friday. It wasn't that interesting.
Saturday morning I woke up and mopped the floor and got myself ready for the day. Just as I was putting on my shirt, David called me. He wanted to know if I could practice with him before we played our violins at Kolob. So I went over to his house and our date started.
Amy and I on her first date... yay!
4 comments:
Oh Michelle. First of all, we will all listen to you when you talk to us! YOU WEREN'T REJECTED! You know that you are pretty much the coolest person on earth. She had nothing more to do with his decision than that she was a senior!
Anyway, I am glad you had fun on your date, and we will have fun either asking someone or chilling that night, or taking pictures, or singing too loud to Disney movies, or crying, or whatever. Don't worry about things you can't change. Be happy!
I agree with Heather! I know we've already had this talk, but I think we can all admire David because that was a tough decision. I believe he knew you well enough to know that you'd trust him and accept the fact that it wasn't that he didn't want to go with you--but he had compassion for the senior who would have missed her last dance if he said "no." You two must be really good friends to be that understanding of each other. How lucky you are!! Love ya!
You are so brave Michelle. Had I been in your place I would've skipped school the next day. Really. (I had an arrangement with my mom in school. As long as I kept straight A's I could skip as many days as I wanted to skip. Believe you me. I would've skipped...)
Utah is so, so different from Kentucky. We only have one dance a year where the girls ask the guys. "Sadie Hawkins" All the other dances require that the guy ask. We don't do the super cute asking rituals either. It's just a phone call or a casual "wanna go to the dance" at lunch.
Personally I'd prefer a date to a dance but that's probably because I grew up attending a church that didn't allow dancing. Yet another reason that our dances are not big deals here.
I'm so sorry that you had a few days where you didn't feel like people were hearing you. I struggle with that too.
Love you girl!!!
You weren't rejected, you didn't get what you wanted exactly; but you didn't get rejected.
It is hard to see you upset as you are always so good and happy.
You are stronger than most people I know. I am a watcher, I know most people do not have the strength or grace you do. I wish I had that grace. There is no weakness in tears. Christ wept. Joseph Wept. The Strongest men I've known in this life have all wept.
I know it may mean very little, but I think that his decision is the right decision. His choice was not easy, but it tells of the greatness of his heart; and the strength of his character.
You young people could do well in teaching us old people the way to live.
I have watched you two for a while now, nearly a year, and I have to say that it is about danged time.
T
Post a Comment