Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Just because

I was inspired to update my blog, just because.

And then it happened. Something out of the norm.

Katie had been at my house for most of the day. At about 8:20, we decided that it was time to take her home. Before we went to her house, we went to find the stake center that a dance will be at on Thursday. I wasn't positive which one it was or how to get there. I thought I should be a little more prepared.

As we were getting into the car, I realized that I didn't have my purse with my, which has my drivers' license in it. I shrugged it off and told myself that I wouldn't speed. Then as we were driving down the road, I realized that I didn't have my phone. I told myself that we were just going to the stake center and then to Katie's house and then I would go home.

About halfway there, Katie remembered that one of our old choir teachers lives close to the stake center. It has been a while since I have seen her. Sure! Why not?

We found the stake center with The Phantom of the Opera blasted in the car. I drove up a hill and found there house. We walked up to the door, and there she was! It was so nice to see her and visit.... for about two hours.

During these two hours of talking, there were many opportunities to call my mom or Katie's mom and tell them where we were. Did we take them? No.

At 10:30 we left our teachers house. We got to a stop sign, and it hit me. I was expected to be home about an hour ago. My mom probably called Katie's mom and we aren't at Katie's house and now they are probably looking for me and freaking out.

Yep. I was right. So, on the freeway I went to get to Katie's house. I knew that I had to go inside her house and call my mom and Heather. I did. Then I sped home.

When I arrived at my house, everyone was outside around Heather's car. Now, I am feeling guilty because I knew how worried they were. I didn't have my phone; Katie didn't have her phone. We had been MIA for two hours.

I walked over and surrendered the car keys and told my mom that I wouldn't mind if she took away my driving privileges. Emilie thought that I should go into the "Quiet Box" like in Fablehaven (those books are sooooo good!)

Let's just say that I was rather broken. I walked into the door where I knew my dad was sitting on the couch on the cushion he always sits on. The tears started coming. I walked in and my dad just said, "What's wrong?" And I told him. I told him that I knew what I did was wrong. He wasn't mad at me. He listened to me in between my heaving sobs. Emilie came in and held me.

I went to my room and Heather came in. My legs were red and blotchy; my face was tingling. Then my mom came in and held me. She said I was hot. I didn't pass out, thank goodness, but it was close.

So what did I learn? I have to listen to those little things that may seem silly at the moment. There were so many promptings for me to call, to get my purse, and to get my phone. I didn't take any of them. But next time I will. It will be a completely different situation, but I will remember June 29, 2010.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Wow, that's a lot of drama for being an hour late...you are definitely loved! By the way, we shopped and were driving by the playhouse to buy cherries at 4:39 and they were gone! Boy, when they said 4:30, they meant it!