This story starts with the post called "Asking and Answering," so if you didn't read it, I highly suggest reading it so you can have the full experience.
After we lost our homecoming game on Friday, everyone was ready for a fun time at the dance. My time was the best. That is the end of the story.
Not really. You didn't really think I would leave out ALL the details, did you?
Saturday morning I had All-State Choir rehearsal at 9:00 a.m. The night before I screamed my lungs out. But I still had enough of a voice to survive a two hour rehearsal. I went to bed at 11:00 and got up at 7:00. That for me is not enough sleep, especially when that was the whole week for me. I was pooped. All I wanted to do was take a nap, but that doesn't really fix anything for me.
We got home from rehearsal at 12:50 and Matt was to pick me up at 1:00. Yep, I went 35 in a 25 zone to get home and brush my teeth before I was to be gone for 3 hours. But when I walked in the door and heard the shower on. My groove was thrown off just a little. Luckily there are two bathrooms, so I still got to relieve my waters, but my breath smelled like a mango smoothie, which is delicious. So it's not like my breath smelled bad, and really didn't even matter. The whole thing just threw off my groove.
So when Matt picked me up, he asked how I was feeling. I told him the truth, not too great, and left it there for the moment. He opened my car door (10 points) and I put on my smile poker face. Although, it really wasn't that big of a poker face because I really was happy to be on the date and excited to hang out with Matt all day long.
We drove to the designated meeting area (the high school) and drew things for our day date out of a hat. I chose first (no one else was stepping up and Matt was the President of our group [the unofficial president] so I felt that it was okay for me to be first) and pulled out Ultimate Frisbee. Oh great. I get to go do something I suck at.
Well, when we got to the park, I discovered that I really didn't suck too much at Ultimate Frisbee.
After we were finished with the said game of Ultimate Frisbee (Caleb hit me with the Frisbee, by the way), it was time to choose a new activity. I was whispering to Matt if they had put ABC shopping in the hat, and they did. And then Kaylee pulled it out of the hat.
Matt and I should never be on the same team for that game. We picked good items, but then it was hard to find where the person that we traded carts with (which was Caleb and I taught him how the game is played), we just couldn't function together.
Then we went to Park Discovery to play hide-and-seek tag. Since I was super duper tired, Matt gave me a piggyback ride to the park. I also had All-State choir music stuck in my head, so he sang to me, too. When we started playing, Richard, Matt, and I hid in the same spot for the majority of the time. When one of us was tagged, we would tag the person sitting next to us and the last one to be tagged would tag someone else's foot that was on the stairs above us. It was hilarious.
I was dropped off at my house at 4:00 and then the hair lady came. It really wasn't that exciting.
Until Matt got to my house and saw me. See, about a month before, we had a mourning David party with Charley and Eric. I was doing laundry that day, so I wore the dress I wore to homecoming so I wouldn't get any other undershirts dirty. That day I decided that I was going to wear that dress to homecoming. When Matt asked me, I had to change it up a bit. So after lots of internet searching, I found a pair of gloves to match. Then with my hair and EPOCH shoes, I was set.
Boutonnieres are awful. Why don't mothers teach their daughters how to accomplish such a difficult task before their dates show up? Just sayin'.
So after my mom successfully pinned the boutonniere and we tied my corsage, Matt and I were headed out the door. I looked out the window and what did I see? My dad peeking inside Matthew Bray's car. It was horrifying. Really, Dad? Did you really just open the driver door of my dates car and talk to the people waiting for us? REALLY?
Needless to say, I was embarrassed. And tired. Which led to me being upset over it.
I apologized to the poor people in the car and we headed to the parking garage for the EPOCH pictures to follow.
Have I mentioned that I was super tired? Well, part of this being tired included putting my gorgeous gloves on Matt's shoulder and resting my head on my gloves. While we were at Jeff Shearers house for dinner, this happened. We happened to see our reflection and I just about died. It looked amazing! We didn't get a very good picture of it because John took that one.
Dinner was homemade, delicious pizza. I ate about three pieces and a cookie and then cheesecake. Luckily Matt and Jeff ate more than me so I didn't feel like a pig.
Speaking of eating, my gloves were taken off a lot that night. It was a long process. Matt untied my corsage, I took off the gloves, handed them to Matt, he put them in his jacket, and then just the reverse to put them back on. Hey, at least the looked good.
Speaking of looking good with gloves, the school took a picture of Matt and I walking into the dance. I right clicked on the picture to save it, and the school saved it as "gloves." Yes, I am that epoch.
The dance was normal; crappy music with crappy dancing and girls in immodest dresses. Nothing out of the normal. Being with my best friend helped those problems very muchly. When the gross rap songs started to play, Matt and I walked out of the room to get a drink of water. He offered me his arm, which I took, and we walked to the fountain. I don't think I would have been able to walk without his arm.
Everyone loved our dance moves. They were all jealous.
So basically, I was really tired. My voice was shot from rehearsal and yelling at Matt while we were dancing so he could actually hear me. They played one swing song at the very end. The very last song was another rap, ugly song, so we took the two remaining couples (Matt and I and Matt's brother) outside for the last dance.
And then it was time to go home. We took Brenan's date home and then arrived at my house a little too quickly. Matt opened my car door, helped me out, and walked me to my door. My thoughts went something like this, "Wait, it's already over?!"
I had never felt that way until that night. Matt was the most perfect date, especially for my tiredness. When I couldn't walk straight, he offered me his arm; when the words weren't coming out of my mouth, he took them and made sense of them. He helped me laugh, he helped me smile. Matt took my heart and made me feel. It was all I had ever dreamed of plus more.
As I thought about this whole date, I decided that at least one person out of every couple had a crush on their date after.









6 comments:
Zebra tennis shoes. Polka dot dress. Over the top fantastic gloves. I love you Michelle, YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! Let me know when All State is - we just might be able to go hear you sing!
WAGON!
Epic: of unusually great size or extent: a crime wave of epic proportions. Not to be confused with
Epoch: the beginning of a distinctive period in the history of anything: The splitting of the atom marked an epoch in scientific discovery.
Sorry I threw off your groove, but a girl's gotta shower!
Mush!!!!!!!!!!!
Love,love,love your dress/shoes/hair/gloves. The whole ensemb was fab-u-lous.
Wow! I wish that my high school experience remotely resembled yours. People give Utah a bad rap but I can assure you that high school here was no where are much fun.
Here if two people went to a dance together then they were expected to date exclusively for a while. If they didn't then one or the other of the two was gossiped about endlessly for a few weeks. We had no fun "asking out" rituals as I call them. None of the fun "accepting the offer" rituals either. No "day of the dance" dates either.
See world... Utah is Epic/Epoch! (whichever works for me. :) I'm so happy that you're getting to have these awesome experiences. There are so many great ones to come... lucky girl!
Love ya lots!
Julie: I am sorry to say, but All-State was last Saturday. It was amazing!
Heather: Whenever I spelled it "epic" it said that it was wrong. Next time I will ask dictonary.com. You can throw off my groove anytime.
Dana: I love you too! You still need to make your way out here so I can tell you all these stories myself.
sounds like fun! cant wait till im in high school and i can go out on group dates and have as much fun as you had, Jelousy is forming
Love ya,
Veronica
Michelle! What a fun date!!! Love reading your blog.
Post a Comment