Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Boy and a Girl

Today I would like to share with you one of my favorite choral pieces.  It sounds boring, I know, but there is a funny story with it at the end.

The piece is by Eric Whitacre.  His music is phenomenal.  I have probably talked about it before.  But now I am going to share so much more with you.

Eric Whitacre takes poems from people like e. e. cummings or Octavio Paz and puts music to the words.  It is absolutely amazing.  The music has life.  That, my friends, is what I hope to do one day.  Bring words and music to life.

Anyhow, his piece A Boy and a Girl  is one of my favorites.  Below is a video recording, and below that the lyrics so you can read and listen if you so desire.


Stretched out on the grass
a boy and a girl.
Savoring their oranges,
giving their kisses like waves exchanging foam.

Stretched out on the beach,
a boy and a girl.
Savoring their limes,
giving their kisses like clouds exchanging foam.

Stretched out underground,
a boy and a girl.
Saying nothing, never kissing,
giving silence for silence.

So if you didn't get it, there is a boy and a girl.  They are in love.  They kiss, a lot.  "Giving their kisses like waves exchanging foam."  I didn't even think about how gross that was before. 

I have decided that the first paragraph in the poem is like the dating stage.  They don't have much to worry about.  Every moment is sweet, like and orange, and they savor it.  The second is the marriage stage.  Now they have a lot more to worry about; money, children, putting food on the table, jobs.  They have their ups and downs, just like it sounds like in the music.  Their kisses become more sour, but at the same time still nice like the clouds.  And then the third, they lived a long happy life together and die.  They are buried right next to each other.  Doesn't it make you so happy?  They lived a full life and aren't far from each other in death. But if you didn't notice, the song doesn't end there.  A whole other verse of humming is there.  So their love is eternal, never ending. 

It is amazing. 

So, funny story time now.  At State Solo and Ensemble Mrs. Tawa talked to me about music a little bit. She told me about this ensemble that sang after our first ensemble and how she loved the piece and how they performed it, but she was thinking of things that she would do differently. I asked her what the song was, and her answer made me the happiest person on this planet: A Boy and A Girl by Eric Whitacre. My happiness showed quite nicely, and she decided to buy the song and we are going to sing it next year in Madrigals!

The other day, Heather and I were listening to this song and thinking about how amazing it is.  Then I remembered that Mrs. Tawa was thinking about ordering the song.  I then decided to send her a text message and ask her if she was still going to order it.  It said something like, "I was wondering if you were still going to order A Boy and A Girl for mads next year."  The next morning she replied and said, "I don't remember what you are talking about."  I then explained what went down at State, and she said, "Ok.  That sounds much better than human slavery."

:)

2 comments:

Heather Rae said...

She's so funny!

KaeliChae said...

love eric whitacre! best composer!