Last Sunday I had the wonderful opportunity to drive to Orem with Matt, Lisa, and Amberly to drop the kids off with their dad. When Matt told me that Lisa invited me to come, I literally stood up and ran around in circles like a crazy person. Not only did I have just a drive home with just Lisa, I also had the chance to meet the dad AND stay with the grandparents. A few days before, the day I cried while watching The Aristocats, I had told Matt that it would make me oh so happy if I had the chance to drive up with them. Then that wish came true.
I curled my hair that morning, and it actually worked! I wore some of my new clothes to church, and then stayed in the shirt for the rest of the day. And I felt so freaking cute! Except for my sunburned nose... that threw the whole thing off. I was so happy that I was going to spend the day doing all the things I hoped for, and look cute at the same time. It sounds silly, but hey!
After sacrament meeting, I went home to get ready to leave. I was so excited, it's not even funny. Matt picked me up around 1:00 and we left town around 1:30. Usually Matt sleeps in the car, but that didn't happen this time with me there. Whoops. :)
I just have to share one little moment that we had in the car together. Matt was laying his head on my lap (with his seat belt still on, don't worry) trying/pretending to sleep. I was playing a game on his phone, but got rather distracted because he just looked so cute and peaceful just laying there. So I decided that I needed to give him a surprise kiss. I had wanted to do that for a while, but it's kinda hard when he is always aware of what's going on. But I got him this time. I got him good. :)
We arrived in Orem around 4:30 for the... wanted week with dad. Matt got out of the car first and I heard the "Look at my fine young boy! I missed you so much!" It was really special to me and I was really happy to be there at that moment. The same things went down with Amberly. Then their dad stuffed a pillow under Matt's shirt, telling me that when he came home, he was going to look like that. Then he asked if I would still like him. I said, "Yeah, I think so," and gave Matt a hug.
As we were unloading luggage from the trunk, dad was talking about dinner. He then asked, kind of, if I wanted to go eat at Olive Garden with them. Honestly and truly, that was one of the biggest things I hoped for while up there. That was probably one of the only chances that I will have for a while to meet him, so I jumped all over it.
It was very interesting. Matt had told me a lot about his dad, and I saw/heard only what Matt told me, plus the funny. He has 4 main lectures, and I heard them all in our two hours together. And that is about all I heard. There was the go to college and get a degree before you do anything else in life. Then he talked about how he doesn't like his job, which goes along with the go to college. Then he tells Amberly that she is his princess, and tells Matt that he is a fine young man. I heard some stories about their childhood and about the job of little sisters and grandparents. It really was fun!
He didn't really ask about me or my family or about me and Matt. I expected that in the very back of my mind, but I guessed that it wouldn't happen that way. It was almost a relief. I saw a different Matt and a different Amberly. My goal for dinner was to make it not like I had made it in my head, and it worked.
It wasn't awful, I promise. The whole thing was a new experience for me, and it was everything I hoped for. I got to spend more time with Matt and learn about his dad. I couldn't ask for more.
The next day when I was home with my own family, we sat down to read our scriptures. I couldn't help but think about how grateful I am to have that in my family. And it came from knowing that Matt doesn't have that with his dad. I can sit down and talk to my parents with no trouble. We talk about everything, about different things, and I am just so grateful for that.
1 comment:
Uhh, my dad was right about the whole being fat thing with the pillow, but I am glad you still like me. :)
Post a Comment