This past weekend was one of the best. It started with ditching school on Friday to watch my boys play water polo. They did really good in the end, earning a gold medal in the consolation tournament. I found this title funny because this tournament was for the, well, loser teams who didn't quite make it to the gold tournament. Now that makes it sound lame, but it really wasn't, I promise. Matt was really happy about their victory, and it was a deserved win.
After their game that determined their place in the consolation tournament (they lost that game), I had to leave for state solo and ensemble. The bus picked Caleb, Darren, and myself from the pool. I was grateful to be able to see their game and then leave for some adventures.
And adventures I had! Holy cow. I don't even know how to share them all with you, other than with pictures.


Saturday was a fun-filled day. We had to be on the bus at 8:15 in order to be on time for the first performance. Madrigals were scheduled to sing at 10:12, but we didn't end up getting on stage until about 10:35. Normally this would make me frantic because our small ensembles started at 10:35, but because we were running behind, I got to see my favorite people! Carl, Taley, Mike, Amy, and Sophie all came to see me perform. I saw Carl and Taley first, and was so distracted by Carl's cool looking jacket that I didn't even notice Mike and Amy. Let's just say that I felt a little dumb.
Madrigals sang so beautifully that Mike decided that he was going to start going to high school performances in their area.
Then it was time for our small ensemble. Two days before the big day we sang our song for the class. Mrs. Tawa told us show more expression on our faces, like she had before, but she also told us to look at each other while we sang. As soon as I did this, I cried a little. I hadn't cried while singing that song for four years. Needless to say, I was a little worried about singing it without crying at state. We walked into the room and listened to our schools other small ensemble, who did very nice. Then we got up for Firefly. I introduced everyone and JP dedicated the song to his mom, but he didn't say his mom. That disappointed me. Anyway, Katie started playing the introduction and I tried to remember all that Mrs. Tawa and others had told us to do. As soon as the first notes of the song came out of our mouths, I felt encircled with emotion. I knew at that moment that JP's mom, Cheryl Melchoir, was singing with us. Nothing else mattered at that point. Amy and Sophie were sitting in the back, right in my line of vision, so I sang to them. I felt like it was the best performance ever, but the judge didn't think the same way I did, but it really didn't matter.
After that, I went to lunch with all my favorite people. We had fun and I was so grateful to spend a little time with them.
We basically then went home, after stopping at the mall to shop, of course. That was long and tedious because I just wanted to go home so I could see Matt!
The ride home was long, but filled with happiness. I sat by my friend Tyler, and Mrs. Tawa talked to us about music a little bit. She told us about this ensemble that sang after our first ensemble and how she loved the piece and how they performed it, but she was thinking of things that she would do differently. I asked her what the song was, and her answer made me the happiest person on this planet: A Boy and A Girl by Eric Whitacre. My happiness showed quite nicely, and she decided to buy the song and we are going to sing it next year in Madrigals! You will hear more about it as I learn it.
I had nice conversations with everyone on the bus. Then, we were home and I was even more happy.
It was such a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment