How could it be "L" week without love?
The love I am going to tell you about is something that I discovered today.
Orchestra.
Now, if you know me really well, you know that I hated orchestra. It wasn't because I didn't like playing, I didn't like the people. I thought that I had enough of it.
When I set up my schedule for school last year, I originally kept orchestra out to take art classes. Unfortunately, that did not work out. So back into orchestra I went.
This summer I discovered that there are two Spanish classes open the same period as orchestra. I told my mom and we thought it would be a good idea to take Spanish instead. Most colleges in Utah require two years of foreign language. I need that credit.
So today I went to change the class. The line was really long, but I was lucky and got the last appointment available for the day, which was 10 minutes later.
My counselor was really nice to me. I could feel that he understood my need and worked with me. The Spanish class is open (which is amazing considering there are 1090 students enrolled at Canyon View this year). Now all I had to do was tell Mr. Jordan and get his permission.
So down the hall I went! Mr. J was in his office and I explained the situation to him. He was also very understanding. While I was talking with him, I realized how much I was really giving up. He told me that there would be many more chances to take the college classes and that I should live in high school and not rush into college.
That got me thinking. I also almost cried in front of him. So then I went back to the counseling office to think. Since I still had some things to figure out with my fees, I went to the choir room to consult with Mrs. Tawa.
She is amazing. My fee's said that I had to pay 60 dollars for my two choir classes, where it should only be 30 dollars. She is exicted that I am taking two choir classes and asked if I was taking orchestra, also. This is where I really did cry. I told her the whole situation, and she told me just about the same things Mr. Jordan did. How's that for hard?
So then I walked back to the counseling office. My counselor was in an appointment and booked for the rest of the day, so I couldn't see him. I asked the office runner if I could make another appointment. She was also very understanding. After she offered to change it for me, I told her that I needed to think about it.
Here I am thinking about it. I feel like there are so many people to be pleased and I want to please them all. They are all also telling me different things. My mom says that I will regret not taking Math 1050 (one of my college classes that I could work with), but Mr. Jordan and Mrs. Tawa say that there will be so many more chances to take it. Heather is amazing and helps me weigh my options, not push me into what she thinks is best.
And me? I think that I love orchestra too much to give it up right now. If that means that I have to take two foreign languages next year, so be it. I will not give up something that I love.
1 comment:
Way to go doing what YOU feel is best!
Post a Comment