Sunday, August 8, 2010

Kind

Was not this man that I am going to tell you about.



Ever since this post, I have gone to an elderly care home every Sunday to sing for them. There are a bunch of people that go, mostly from Cedar High. It is fun to sing for the people there and be with people that all sing quite well.



Today was a little different. I was grumpy for some reason that I have not figured out yet. But I knew that if I went that I would feel better.



So I drove to Katie's house and then to the care home. The people that are the leaders were late (as usual) but it was okay because they brought a whole men's' choir with them. We then went inside the home.



This is where the old man comes in. We started lining up in our semi-circle to sing. Charlie, the man, came out of his room and told us to get out and go home. He was not joking.



So here are a bunch of teenagers trying to do the right thing and an old man starts yelling and swearing at them. We stood our ground (he thought we were being disrespectful) and didn't say a word.



We just kinda figured that he had some mental issues, but then he started swearing and that was not good. Pretty sure that I turned red with anger and embarrassment. It is a good thing that I was also wearing my red shirt.



I felt the Spirit race out of the room. It was the weirdest thing, because I don't remember the last time I actually felt that way. It was awful. And since I was grumpy it made it just a tiny bit worse.



One of the nurses took care of the problem for us. We chose a hymn (#227) and sang the Spirit right back into the room. Katie and I almost started to cry.



The neat thing about this experience was that the Spirit left. It was miserable. Then we sang the Spirit back into the home and into our hearts. Words cannot describe that feeling.



And that my friends, that is the power of music.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

That is a great experience to hang on to. Recognizing the spirit is a gift! :-)