Friday, December 17, 2010

Can we see the Christ?

The following is a story from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

One night a grandfather was reading a story to his four-year-old granddaughter when she looked up and said, “Grandpa, look at the stars!” The older man smiled kindly and said, “We’re indoors, honey. There are no stars here.” But the child insisted, “You have stars in your room! Look!”

The grandfather looked up and, to his surprise, noticed that the ceiling was peppered with a metallic glitter. It was invisible most of the time, but when the light struck the glitter a certain way, it did indeed look like a field of stars. It took the eyes of a child to see them, but there they were. And from that moment on, when the grandfather walked into this room and looked up, he could see what he had not been able to see before.

We are entering another wonderful Christmas season filled with music and lights, parties and presents. But of all people, we as members of the church that bears the Savior’s name need to look beyond the façade of the season and see the sublime truth and beauty of this time of year.

I wonder how many in Bethlehem knew that right there, close to them, the Savior had been born? The Son of God, the long-awaited and promised Messiah—He was in their midst!

Do you remember what the angel told the shepherds? “Unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” And they said to themselves, “Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass” (Luke 2:11, 15).

Like the shepherds of old, we need to say in our hearts, “Let us see this thing which is come to pass.” We need to desire it in our hearts. Let us see the Holy One of Israel in the manger, in the temple, on the mount, and on the cross. Like the shepherds, let us glorify and praise God for these tidings of great joy!

Sometimes the most difficult things to see are those that have been right in front of us all along. Like the grandfather who failed to see the stars on the ceiling, we sometimes cannot see that which is in plain sight.

We who have heard the glorious message of the coming of the Son of God, we who have taken upon us His name and have covenanted to walk in His path as His disciples—we must not fail to open our hearts and minds and truly see Him.

The Christmas season is wonderful in many ways. It is a season of charitable acts of kindness and brotherly love. It is a season of being more reflective about our own lives and about the many blessings that are ours. It is a season of forgiving and being forgiven. It is a season to enjoy the music and lights, parties and presents. But the glitter of the season should never dim our sight and prevent us from truly seeing the Prince of Peace in His majesty.

Let us all make this year’s Christmas season a time of rejoicing and celebration, a time when we acknowledge the miracle that our Almighty God sent His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to redeem the world!


I read this story to my seminary class this morning for our Christmas devotional. I really like the part that says, "We must not fail to open our hearts and minds and truly see Him."

Sometimes during Christmas, I forget what Christmas is really about. I tend to get so "wrapped" up in what to buy someone, which can be hard sometimes. But I need to start looking for what I can give to Christ by giving someone else something.

Every year my friends and I do a "Secret Santa" sort of thing. We all choose a name and buy gifts for that person only. I really like focusing on just one person because no one gets left out.

This year I just happened to get Matt. I made him a blue and black tie-blanket with his name and a quote that says, "Friends are like bananas..." When I gave it to him today, he was really happy and said that he had been needing a blanket. All the work and effort and love that went into that blanket was worth it.

I am glad that we can give people presents during the Christmas season that make people feel good. I, like President Uchtdorf, am grateful that Heavenly Father gave us the ultimate gift: The gift of His Son, Jesus Christ, who has saved us all.

No comments: