Friday, November 5, 2010

Foundation

If you know me really well, then you know that my mind works like a butterfly. If you don't know me very well, let me explain.

Butterflies are peaceful, flying around from one flower to another. Sometimes they land on a flower to partake of its goodness.

I am the butterfly. My thoughts fly around here and there, not really focusing on anything in particular. Flowers are the thoughts that are very developed and purposeful.

One of the biggest flowers I have landed on lately is having a firm testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice. When we build this strong foundation, nothing can wash us away.

Example:

I have a lot of friends, including my family. Lately I have focused on two (well, really three, but for this post, two) of these friends.

One has a very strong testimony and uses it in their life often. This person attends church with their family every week. This person holds a calling in the church with they fulfill. This person cares more for other people than their self. This person stands on one of the highest pedestals that I have put up.

Another one of my friends is almost the exact opposite. This person has had a rough time and sought for ways to get away from the stress and lack of appreciation. Unfortunately, this person did not go to the Lord for a refuge. Instead they found refuge in things that are not good for yourself.

Reflecting on these two people close to me makes me want to be a better person. There are a few things that help me to make the correct choices that will make my foundation strong.

One is keeping my strong relationships with my friends. I could not ask for better friends. They bring me up when I am down and help me think properly.

Like the other day. I had to write a timed writing in English, which stinks beyond just about everything. After I wrote my stinkin' essay, I went to painting. Matt comes to painting with me every now and then because he doesn't have class until two. That day was a perfect day for him to be able to join me. We got starbursts and went to class where we sat doing nothing. Now, you may think that that is a bad thing, but my brain was fried. There was no way I was going to be able to paint for a while. Once my brain had a chance to relax, I could paint.

The other thing is to be focused in the gospel. I don't really have a hard time with that, but everyone can always to better.

1 comment:

Heather Rae said...

Living the Gospel, from my own experience and from what I've been told by others, only gets harder the older you get. You are tested with more intensity so you can grow more. So the better you build that foundation now the more able you will be to face your trials later. So way to go!