Thursday, November 25, 2010

Why do we stuff turkeys?


Have you, like me, ever wondered why we stuff our turkeys with goodness on Thanksgiving?

This thought occured to me while I was watching my mom stuff our turkey for our thanksgiving feast. I then proceeded to turn on the computer and ask google what he thought about this subject.

Apparently we eat turkey because Queen Elizabeth was celebrating a harvest holiday and she ate baked goose. When the Spanish Armada was sunk, she ordered another baked goose and baked goose became the favorite bird to eat for that celebration. Then the pilgrims came to the Americas and there was more turkey than goose, so they used turkey.

Another idea is about this guy that wrote some sort of story about the pilgrims that must've had something about turkeys in it. The documents were lost during the Revolutionary War and then rediscovered in 1854. After that, eating turkey on Thanksgiving day became a tradition.

As we know, Benjamin Franklin really liked turkeys. He thought that because turkeys eat acorns and other natural products, they taste better than any other bird.

So, again, we do we stuff the turkey?

Well, Thanksgiving became an official holiday on October 3, 1863, by President Abraham Lincoln. I have always loved that man, but now I love him even more. In 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt tried to move Thanksgiving to an earlier date to give people more time to do their Christmas shopping. It was an effort to help people in the Depression. Congress rejected this plan and set the fourth Thursday of every November to be Thanksgiving day.

Since we eat turkey so much, they were almost all wiped out! The government took action to protect turkeys and now there are turkeys in 49 states.

Turkeys got their name because they are thought to be originated from the country Turkey.

You should stuff your turkey right before it is baked. The primary spice in stuffing (also known as dressing) is Sage. Other ingredients in stuffing are carrots, celery, and onions.

Fifty percent of Americans put their stuffing inside the turkey, yet the question still remains unanswered. Why do we do that?

What do you think? Comments are very much welcome. If you have never commented before, now is the time to do so.

4 comments:

Madi said...

Today, my grandma asked me to put some dressing in two bowls. I started pouring gravy into the bowls thinking that dressing and gravy were the same thing. It turns out that dressing is actually stuffing! Am I the only one who did not know that "dressing" is stuffing? haha If that is the case, maybe stuffing is to dress up the turkey and started out just for looks.

Heather Rae said...

I think we stuff turkeys because there's a hole.

Kaitlyn said...

Maybe we do it because people don't want to have to use yet another dish so it's a way to cook the stuffing and turkey in one go! I don't know..haha

Veronica Haley said...

because it is yummy.